Skip to content

Arthur D. Little Building (MIT E-60)

Arthur D. Little Building (MIT E-60)

The renovation of the 1917 three story masonry building, originally constructed as headquarters for the Arthur D. Little Company, continues the development of the eastern edge of the MIT campus as a center for the Sloan School of Management. The building consolidates senior administrative offices and provides high-tech conference space for the school.

MIT
Cambridge, MA
Completed: 2009 28,000 sf LEED Gold Certified
Photography by © David Lamb

The Arthur D. Little Company donated this building to MIT in the late 1970s, shortly after it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. MIT wanted energy-efficient, first-class office space. The building exterior (on the three sides visible to the public) had to be restored in accordance with the National Park Service Guidelines for Registered Buildings. One of the issues was the front entry which is not accessible. We received a variance from MAAB for an alternate primary entrance through the adjoining building, as well as a restoration award from the Cambridge Historic Commission.

The project is LEED Gold certified. Emphasis is placed on providing high quality and high comfort office space within an old structure. The small floors allow for access to daylight and views of the river throughout the space. Strategies for insulating and sealing the masonry walls were studied through extensive material testing and WUFI analysis. MIT has teamed with Bruner/Cott and Building Science Corporation to use the building for on-going monitoring and research on the subject of insulating solid masonry structures.

Awards

  • 2011 Cambridge Historical Commission Preservation Award